Friday, March 14, 2014

Math Team & Birthday Dinners

Wednesday, March 12 :

Last Wednesday morning Alexee had a 7:50 doctor's appointment so we dropped Rhett off at school then hurried to the clinic.  I love our pediatrician.  He's known all three kids since birth.  I've always felt comfortable with him and felt like our kids were in such great care with him.  He asked me about Lane's job and about our upcoming move, and as we were leaving he said, "Now you know we're connected for life, right?  And you can call me if you guys ever need anything?"  Well, I burst into tears...and hugged him.  I'm pretty sure he was just expecting a nice, "Thank you so much, we truly appreciate you, and we will really miss you!".  So embarrassing--especially after I remembered I still have to take the boys back for their well-child visits in a few weeks.  A friend suggested I send Lane.  Ha!  Does everyone feel like their pediatrician is part of their family?

Anyway, after all that we made a stop at Krispy Kreme before I dropped Alexee off at school.  She wanted her picture made with the smiley-face doughnut so I could send it to her teacher.  Their class theme is "Team Smiley".  :)  
Next stop:  Rhett's Math Team competition at the college.  I thought I was running 45 minutes late because of the appointment, but to my surprise the competition had not even started yet!  Several schools had not shown up yet (ours being one of them!) because of some confusion with scheduling transportation with the school district.  A bus was supposed to pick them up but didn't show up!?  So finally everyone arrived safely and the competition began almost two hours late.  Thank goodness Lane was off work and had decided to stay home with Crosby because that would have been a long time for C to sit still.  Our school has two teams.  There were two, 20-minute testing sessions and then the scores were posted...and our two teams tied for 1st Place (out of 47 teams).  So proud of them!!  They will compete in the championship round on Wednesday--good luck to them!
top L:  Rhett before round 1; top R:  one of the 3rd graders playing the piano in the lobby during break--he was amazing!!
bottom L:  Rhett's team; bottom R:  excitement after the scores were announced!
Rhett rode the bus back to school for science club, Lane and Crosby went to pick up Alexee for me, and I picked up Crosby's friend Ellis at preschool because his parents were out of town for the day.  The boys had fun playing together--it was a nice day so they played with the Nerf guns and rocket launcher in the back yard.  E kept calling C "Mr. Cosby", which I thought was so cute and funny.
So that evening was when we'd planned to take Rhett and a few of his friends out for pizza for his birthday.  We picked up his friend Jack, dropped Ellis off at another friend's house and met two other buddies (Boston & Nate) at Razorback Pizza.  It was such an easy "party", if you could really even call it that.  The boys were so polite and had fun playing in the arcade.  I picked up Chips Ahoy cupcakes that afternoon at Kroger so we had those after pizza and Rhett opened his gifts.  Rhett didn't want us to sing or do candles.  I guess age 10 is when you become too cool for that stuff when in a public place with friends.  :(  I hope he had fun though!  He sure is a blessing to us, and we wish him a very very Happy Birthday!  We love you, RGG!
fun memories!
The birthday fun wasn't over yet!  Lane dropped the friends off at their houses and took our kids home for baths while I went to another restaurant to celebrate my friend Emily's birthday!  I am so thankful that she and I have gotten to know each other over the past couple of years--she is such a dear friend to me.  I know every girl around this table would say the same--that Emily is a blessing in their life!  She is such a thoughtful, encouraging, fun friend!
Around the table, L to R:
Julie, Natalie, Holly, Jennifer, Mitzi, Gabi, Mel, Leigh Ann, Jennifer, Emily, (me) & Lindsey

1 comments:

His Doorkeeper said...

Jamie, I'm sure you made your pediatrician's day with the sweet tears and hug! He probably would like to shed a few tears himself for losing sweet patients like your kids after all these years! Hopefully you will find a doctor just as good when you get moved!