Saturday, February 19, 2011

1st Grade Valentine Dance

Due to the snow last week, the first graders had their Valentine dance and classroom parties last Thursday afternoon. The teachers taught them the dance steps, assigned partners and practiced before the party. They were asked to wear their dress-up clothes for the event. I had R pose for a picture before leaving for school that morning, and Crosby wanted to be in the picture with him. :)
Lane was able to come home early that day so he kept Crosby at home for his nap while Alexee and I went to R's school. Alexee wanted to dress up in a "poofy dress" since it was a Valentine party. The party started at 12:30, but she put this dress on at 8:30 a.m. and wore it to the shoe store and to Sam's to pick up the class cupcakes beforehand.
Mrs. H had the boys practice a bow and the girls a curtsy before going out into the hallway for the dance. Rhett is on the back left of the picture, getting a little wild with his bowing. I think he included a 360 and a few jumps and laughs (as did most of the other boys!). ha! Teachers are amazing people. My nerves go crazy within five minutes of walking into the classroom.
I think it's safe to say that the girls were probably more into the whole dance idea than the boys. Rhett's cute partner, Kate, kept hugging him. I'm not sure what he thought about all of that.
The teachers lined everyone up, and Rhett started a pretend boxing match with Kate.
The line of 1st graders stretched way down the hall.
Even if the boys hated every second of it, they did look pretty cute!
R & K did a really good job. I overheard one of the other moms say, "Look at them, they're doing great!" Rhett looked at Kate and in a goofy voice said, "We're famous!" ha!
Everyone then went back to their classrooms for snacks and Valentine cards. I thought Sam's made cute cupcakes (they tasted good too).
Rhett was sweet to ask Alexee to pull up a chair beside him for snacks.
Mrs. H commented that they sure look alike. Alexee got kind of shy and told me that she didn't want anyone to look at her except for me and Rhett. She seemed fine sitting right beside R though.
She wanted to help with his valentines, and he was nice to let her. I was proud of him.
He even shared some of his candy with her.
Me with two of my sweet valentines.
On the way to the park yesterday after school we picked up one of R's classmates/friends. I overheard R say to him, "Boy am I glad that dance is over with. I might not ever go out in that hallway again."

3 comments:

Candy said...

super cute--love the idea of a Val dance! ha ha ha at the "I may never go in the hall again!" That is HILARIOUS! Glad you wrote that down,that is something you'll have to remind him of when he gets older--cute! :)

Jacquie Wallace said...

I thought I was caught up on your blog and realized I was behind for a WEEK!! All caught up now.

I totally agree with you about teachers... I always say they are "called". My nerves just couldn't take it.

I LOVE that R said they were famous!!!

Ryan V. said...

Super cute pictures! The little dance was a fun idea!